Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Why send her in alone?" "Because going in alone is a very important thing to do" ~The Brother's Bloom

Hello all!

Well, I've been settled into Oxford for about 5 days now, and I've now met some people who have internet, so I can get online to post. Hopefully soon we'll have internet at our "ghetto-fab" house (as we have lovingly termed our house). Don't get the wrong idea- I LOVE my flat! It has a ton of character. And by character, I mean quite a few bugs and quirks. But seriously, I am living up the college experience by doing this! And we do have nice couches, so it's all good. :)

We've had quite a few walking tours of the city so I'm getting a much better idea of where everything is, which is good because the first night I had no skill finding my way around. Luckily I was walking with a flatmate, so I didn't get too lost.

Yesterday we partook in a traditional Oxford pastime by going punting. Now, when I first heard about punting, I was pretty sure that it meant we would be standing along the banks of a river punting footballs. I was very confused as to why this was a good idea. But it is nothing of the sort- it's actually more insane! A punt is this flat boat that you propel with a pole. And that's it. I was considering the possibility of punting until about 10 minutes into it, Luke, our designated punter fell into the water. It was the classic dilemma: punt or boat? The river decided. After that, there was no way I was going to stand up in that thing. :)

Today I took a long walk with one of my flatmates. We found a meadow, some horses, a stream, and secret trails down behind our house. Down one of the trails, we found an old graveyard which we explored. It was very neat, but also really sad. There was quite a significant portion donated to soldiers who died in WWII, all from the Botley area (the area of Oxford where I live)

The past few days I've been able to hang out with lots of APU students and make some connections there. Today I mostly hung out with my roommates- they are pretty sweet. Definitely don't think it was by chance that I've been put with them. First of all, we're almost all econ students and we seem to live really well together.

All in all, I'm enjoying being on my own out in Oxford. It's weird remembering though that this isn't a short term trip and that, while 3.5 months isn't THAT long, it IS longer than a short trip and I need to pace myself so I don't tire out and crash too soon. There's a feeling on independence though that is so much more than when I was in Azusa- I don't know, maybe it's cause I'm across the ocean from everything I know ;) haha. Thanks for all your prayers! Continue to keep praying for peace, love for those around me, and that I will remain firm in the knowledge that I am placed exactly where God wants me. :) Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. love and miss you!!!!! glad you're having adventures :) keep enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete